Sunday, May 28, 2006

Character set woes

I've found another bug in my HTTPServer - Python's character set support is horrid. Unfortunately, Python assumes that everything is ASCII by default, rather than a more sensible choice like UTF-8, and I've yet to get it to play nicely with Unicode. What's worse is that this bug only occurs when the IRC logs contain special characters:
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 in position 19621: ordinal not in range(128)
What a nasty complication to an otherwise simple language!

I've made something nice to use for my streaming testing - a video of the swans at the local lake.

I'm playing around with Boost.Python, with an aim to wrapping libtorrent although I've yet to get the examples to compile!


Post a Comment

<< Home